Get Your Last Minute GIFT CERTIFICATE

Virtually! Just in time for CHRISTMAS! With each gift certificate a link for a virtual catalog from Designs by Rhenn is supplied or a printed copy can be mailed-- buyers choice.

Thursday, August 5

Sore fingers, happy heart

Detail of 16th century silk velvet on gold fig...Image via Wikipedia
I am thrilled to say: The LIttle Girl Garb (custom request) is done!  I will get nicer pics (I hope) tomorrow first thing, box it up and figure out the shipping.  I then have a set of sleeves and a corset to do.  But before those two projects, I need to clean my sewing area.  I don't take the time during the project to do this as the creative juices are flowing and can't be bothered with the mundane, LOL!  


I love the actual act of couching a grommet, but boy does it make my fingers sore!  I had over 20 grommets to couch, though Ashleigh did about 6 of them.  A grommet takes from 10-15min to couch.  That adds up, LOL!


I always line everything I make.  This adds to the cost in material and time.  More handwork goes into finishing a garment that has a lining.  I could leave a skirt unlined, but there is always a concern in mind for when the wind whips up.  Two things factor in.  Firstly, the wind whips it open and the ugly seams show.  Secondly, the lining helps to weigh the skirt down so that the whipping wind has a harder time getting you to flash your underskirt.


I usually like to line a set of sleeves with silk, for the same reason linings for suits and dresses now days have a slick fabric--it helps slide your arms in.  I use silk instead of a 'silky' because it breaths and is light weight.  The only time I don't use it is when I am specifically instructed not to.


Welp, going to go get ice cream from the freezer and do a little site maintnance while DH watches "Cheers" on the TV.


Ciao for now,

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts